At Bayfront Health ER & Urgent Care, we strive for short wait times regardless of whether the situation is urgent or emergent.
Other Medical Conditions We Treat
- Insect and snake bites/stings: It’s possible to go into anaphylactic shock (the inability to breathe) if you are allergic to insect bites or snake venom. Even if you don’t have a severe allergic reaction, we can help treat the pain and irritation these injuries typically cause.
- Allergic reactions: If you have a severe allergic reaction, it is a medical emergency. Signs of a severe allergic reaction include difficulty breathing, loss of consciousness, hives, and vomiting. Please dial 9-1-1 or visit your closest emergency room if you believe you are having a serious medical emergency.
- Burns: Seek treatment for any severe burn, and especially if the burned area is greater than 3 inches, or if it affects the face, head, hands, feet, or a major joint.
- Pink eye: Complications from conjunctivitis, commonly called pink eye, may warrant a visit, especially if symptoms haven’t improved after a week.
- Pneumonia: Pneumonia may require intravenous fluids, antibiotics, oxygen therapy, and other breathing treatments. Call 911 or visit your closest emergency room immediately if you have shortness of breath, a cough, chest congestion, or other signs of pneumonia.
- Rash: Sometimes a rash is harmless, but seek immediate care if the rash is covering your entire body, if you notice the rash is spreading, or if you think it is caused by an infection or allergic reaction.
- Back pain: Although time and rest may be all that’s needed to alleviate back pain, seek care for pain that is severe or interferes with daily life, or if you have had a previous back injury that required treatment.
- Headaches or head injuries: Everyone experiences a headache occasionally, but it could indicate a serious problem if you’ve received a blow to the head. Concussions should be treated in the emergency room.
- Vomiting: If you have uncontrolled vomiting for more than 4 hours and you can’t even keep down clear fluids, seek immediate care, especially if the patient is a young child or an elderly adult. Severe vomiting causes dehydration and may require intravenous fluids and/or nausea medication.
- Accidental poisoning: Ingesting toxic substances like household cleaners or even overdosing on prescribed medication can indicate poisoning. Seek immediate care.
- Appendicitis: A swollen or burst appendix must be treated promptly because it can be life-threatening. Signs of appendicitis include sudden pains in the right side of the lower abdomen.
- Asthma and breathing problems: Difficulty breathing is alarming. Seek immediate care if your breathing difficulties interfere with your routine functioning.
- Blood clots: If you suspect you have a blood clot, seek immediate treatment. You may have a blood clot if you notice pain, heaviness, aching, itching, throbbing, or warmth in the area where you are feeling discomfort.
- Chemical exposure: Direct contact with or inhalation of toxic chemicals can be serious. Seek immediate care if your eyes, nose, throat, chest, or skin are burning.
- Dehydration: Dehydration can be treated with intravenous fluids as you are monitored for potentially severe complications such as low blood pressure, rapid heart rate, or abnormal kidney function.
- Dizziness: Seek immediate care if you have dizziness accompanied by imbalance while standing or walking, double vision, loss of vision, or if the dizziness is not eased by lying down. Do not drive yourself to the hospital if you feel dizzy.
- Eye injuries: Seek immediate care for eye trauma that affects your vision, or if your eyes are painful, red swollen, or watering excessively.
- Foreign body removal: Both children and adults can experience situations in which they need help removing an object from an orifice.
- High fever: Body temperature should be stable, at about 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, or 37 degrees Celsius. If your body temperature is higher than that, it could indicate a serious problem, such as a spreading infection.